Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday - Faking It by Charlotte Kymberley


"Waiting On Wednesday"(WOW) is a weekly event, hosted by Jill from Breaking The Spine that spotlights upcoming releases eagerly anticipated. This is my third week joining the 100 plus book bloggers who participate in the weekly meme and I am very excited to be a part of it. I hope to hear from you and your own WOW so that I can add some more books to my TBR shelf.


One of my favorite web sites is Chick Lit Plus. It’s a very varied site with its articles and features on chick lit and general fiction, celebrity gossip, book reviews, fashion, fitness, writing resources and a whole lot more; and this year, the woman behind the site has even added a few services to her list, one of which is serving as Host of a 2011 Chick Lit Reading Challenge. The goal, over the course of the twelve months in 2011, is to read 12 chick lit genre books – with one exception: two MUST be by debut authors with book releases in 2011. I am grateful to be a part of this challenge, not only because it increases my personal quota of reading chick lit novels and writing reviews but because this is the first year I can remember being really focused on what the upcoming new books and authors are going to be out there in the publishing world and make it into local bookstores.  It’s really caused my TBR list to skyrocket!

This week I am featuring a book I saw featured on both the Chicklit Club as well as Chick Lit Plus (this week). Oddly enough when I looked it up on Goodreads for a synopsis it said the book was by “Charlotte Kymberley” but then I noticed the cover of the book said it was by “Lotte Daley”. Is it fair to assume Lotte is the pseudonym or shortened name for Charlotte and similarly, Daley is a shortened, play on Kymberley? I’m open to any and all ideas….

The synopsis reminds me a lot of a book I recently read by Ilana Fox called the Making of Mia, in that the leading lady undergoes a drastic makeover and becomes the paparazzi’s latest IT Girl to target – but will it help her find true love? The right career? Her own place in the world? Or even herself? It brings up the idea about whether making oneself over really serves its purpose? Is it all worth it? And at what costs? Or is it just a false disguise? I guess I’ll have to wait and find out.

'It's not you, it's me'. That's the cowardly text message that Katie receives from Jack, her actor boyfriend of three years, when he dumps her. And things go from bad to worse when photos of Jack canoodling with a famous size-zero actress are splashed across every gossip magazine and tabloid soon after. Just how much humiliation can a girl take? With the paparazzi camped out on her doorstep, Katie decides to preserve what's left of her dignity. So she agrees to become her PR colleagues' next project. They will make her over (hair, teeth, clothes, Botox, and boobs - the works) and turn her into an instant celebrity in order to win back her ex and show the world that an ordinary girl can rival a beautiful bimbo. But will a new life in the limelight be everything Katie dreamt of? Can she make it in the cut-throat world of the beautiful, rich and famous? Is Jack worth all the hassle or is there someone else out there who might love Katie just the way she is?

The above cover and synopsis were found on Amazon via the Paperback edition.

Faking It by Lotte Daley/Charlotte Kymberley will be released February 17, 2011 (Tomorrow!!)

For more debut authors coming out soon visit Chick lit Plus’ latest post at:

http://chicklitplus.com/debut-authors-novels-februarymarch-2011/

3 comments:

  1. Oh, the cover is funny and the book sounds good! :D
    I'll keep it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting dumped via text message...how outrageous, lol. This one sounds like a lot of fun..hope you enjoy it when it comes out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound really funny, huh?!?! I don't know what makes the text message thing more unfortunate - that it is soo cruel? or that it is soo true in our fast-forward paced world of social networking? Love seeing something a little bit different froma newbie! Thanks for checking it out here...let me know if either of you get a chance to read it...

    ReplyDelete