Sunday, June 26, 2011

Techonology & The Girl Next Door: IT in Chick Lit?

I have several new books that I will be reviewing this summer that take on the theme of technology in one way or another. For instance, in the latest book I finished, Confessions of a Call Center Gal by Lisa Lim, the main character is working in telecommunication, helping customers with their Internet service. Phone Kitten by Marika Christian offers an alternative view at working at a “call center” in which young Emily embraces her hidden talents to be a successful “phone actress”. Click: An Online Love Story by Lisa Becker probably takes the most direct approach of all, similar to the 2007 release, Holly’s Inbox by Holly Denham, as the story, itself, is comprised of email after email after email. I have come to really appreciate this format, mostly for its creativity and ability to tell a whole story through a unique medium. But where did this whole idea come from? Was it Bridget Jones’ Diary? Was it the infamous AOL- ping, “You’ve Got Mail” in the chick flick of the same name, starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks?

Whatever it was, it’s been made clear that since the dawn of the Internet, email, blogs and now, e-books have taken off, and chick lit is one genre that remains ahead of fiction’s latest IT trend. What’s your take on the whole email format in chick lit fiction?

I’ve been trying to keep track of all the books that I’ve read, or that I’m eager to read, that use the diary/letter/email format throughout the entire novel. Here are some of my faves that made the list:

Top Ten IT Chick Lit
  1.      Bridget Jones’ Diary by Helen Fielding
  2.    Holly’s Inbox by Holly Denham
  3.     Click: An Online Love Story by Lisa Becker
  4.    Love, Rosie (aka Where Rainbows End) by Cecelia Ahern
  5.     Save As Draft by Cavanaugh Lee
  6.     Boy Meets Girl (Boy  #1) by Meg Cabot
  7.     Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
  8.     Holly’s Inbox: Scandal in the City by Holly Denham
9.     The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones #2) by Helen Fielding
10. He Typed, She Typed by Amy Turner & Mark Van Wye

What IT Chick Lit books am I missing?? Which IT Chick Lit novel is your favorite?


4 comments:

  1. This is a fun list, I have only read a couple of the books on it but I adored them.

    I shall try to check the others. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading Holly's Inbox, I've been on an e-mail format kick. I just finished the sequel to Holly's Inbox, Click, and moving on to Save as Draft next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hands down favorite chick lit is Bridget Jones' Diary...

    Several years ago I read an epistolary novel about two women dealing with breast cancer that was very good but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it...maybe you know that one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BookGirl, I'd like to know the name of the book you're referring to about women dealing with breast cancer. Hopefully someone knows the title.

    ReplyDelete