Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Putting On my Lip Gloss - Chick Lit and Fashion: BCBG


It’s summer. It’s hot. It’s prime time for beach reading; but do you ever find yourself getting distracted by whatever it is you’re reading? If you’re like me – and it’s no secret if you follow my blog that my favorite summer beach read is anything in the chick lit genre – I’ve caught myself day dreaming about those luscious stilettos, mary janes and knee high boots that Sondra keeps talking about in Beth Harbison’s Confessions of a Shoe Addict. While reading an old Emily Giffin or Lauren Weisberger novel, I’ve gotten lost in fantasy about all those beautiful designer gowns and dresses I last saw on the runaway. Whatever it is, by the time I’ve sprung back to reality, I realize I’ve completely spaced out the last five pages of my book and I stumble to find my place or sometimes, I’ve already put my book down, and the next thing I know I’m surfing the web for the lastest in designer fashion. If this sounds like you, you might relate to the fashionistas of chick lit.

Every reader of those candy covered paperbacks knows that chick lit and fashion go hand in hand so I thought what better time to celebrate some of my favorite styles and designers than during a summer spread of chick lit fashion features. This week I’m going to start with one of the inaugural (to me) designers who has always had ample space in my closet since I first learned what being a chick lit fashionista was all about: BCBG. From BCBGirls, to BCBGMaxAzria to the fabulous BCBG standalone brands, BCBG is always hot on the cusp of the latest in designer fashion, from romantic lace, black and white contrasts or geometric and artsy prints to complement the classic floral designs. I have always found something (and sometimes) everything to make up a season’s worth of wardrobe staples and some pieces just for fun.  

Since I’m reading and writing all the time, I no longer have time to shop at the mall like I used to but who needs to go anywhere when you’ve got a world of shopping in front of you with just one click of a mouse. I remember when I found Bluefly years ago; I was ecstatic. Fashion + discount + mail delivery right to my apartment? Too good to be true, right? Nope, Bluefly has proven itself to me time and time again to be one of the few trusted discounted sites in designer wear on the web. In fact one of the very first pieces I ever bought from the fashion forward web site was a BCBG black and white, floral halter dress! Bought years ago it remains one of my favorite summer staples.

My personal favorites from BCBG have always, hands down, been their dresses; but I also love their babydoll and drapey tops, and of course, there many varies and creative shoes for the “sole”.  One of my oldest and favorite pairs of summer BCBG Shoes are a neutral tan 2 ½” wedge with a criss-crossed, double strap in a super soft suede. Hot, hot hot; but with my birthday right around the corner, I’ve got my eyes on some new summer styles.


Among my favorites this summer that I’ll definitely be seen wearing while I read the latest from Beth Harbison, Emily Giffin, Candace Bushnell and other chick lit fashionistas include the drapey tunic, (many) colorful babydoll tees with romantic and flirty details, long and short dresses (I can never have enough dresses!) and of course, strappy sandals and high heeled wedges. I think every girl needs a new pair of black strappy sandals each summer and a funky pair just for fun (see the python BCBG shoes I picked out!). I think I will always be a fan of the babydoll top and dress, no matter how old I get. Although Black and white (and this year silver and grey) continue to reign in the shades of my closet, I am loving this summer’s bright colors in green, purple, and yellow. Anything floral will always get my debit card swiping although the tie-dyed, ombre and artsy, geometric fashions I’ve seen on the site this year have given me something new to add to my collection. Check out the rest of the garb at BCBG at Bluefly and then check back in and let me know:  

What chick lit books will you be reading at the beach this summer? And what will you be wearing while you read it?

Here are some of my favorite Fashionista Chick Lit Books to check out this summer or any season:

Top Ten Fashionista Chick Lit

  1. Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
  2. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
  3. Fashionistas by Lynn Messina
  4. Lipstick Jungle by Candace Bushnell
  5.  Beneath a Starlet Sky by Amanda Goldberg & Ruthanna Khalighi Hopper
  6. Shoe Addicts Anonymous by Beth Harbison
  7. The Debutante Divorcee by Plum Sykes
  8. I Heart New York by Lindsey Kelk
  9. Adored by Tilly Bagshawe
10. Falling out of Fashion by Karen Yampolskey
Who made your fashionista list??


**Putting on My Lip Gloss is a series of blog posts that represent my personal thoughts, ideas and general ramblings related to chick lit reading and writing. Every day is an inspiration – I never know where my next post is going to come from, but when it does, I always feel like putting on my lip gloss! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment