Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Special Guest Post: 10 Questions with Rose Pressey, Author of How to Date a Werewolf

I’m so excited to announce Lip Gloss and Literature’s Author Interview with Rose Pressey. She is the author of a new series of one of my favorite subtypes of books within the chick lit genre - paranormal romance. From Shanna Swendson’s Enchanted, Inc. series about modern day witches and warlocks in the Big Apple to a series about a woman, Lucy Valentine, who has the power to find lost objects by fellow Boston-native, Heather Webber, the creativity behind the stories by this genre’s authors is limitless. And now, the first book in a new series by Rose Pressey, has just been released. How to Date a Werewolf stars Rylie Cruz, owner of Got a Mate Dating Service who proves that match-making can get pretty “hairy”….

How to Date A Werewolf
Romance can be a hairy business-especially when you’re a werewolf.
As the owner of Got a Mate Dating Service, Rylie is more than happy to step in and lend a hand to lonely lycanthropic hearts all over town. No matter how hopeless Rylie might be in finding her own soul mate, she has a knack for helping others find theirs.
Convinced that she is stuck with a family curse, Rylie is positive she will never find her true love. But when drool-worthy Jack Chandler shows up at her door, Rylie wonders if maybe the curse is finally broken.
But Rylie’s life is about to become complicated courtesy of the after-dark crowd. When she begins receiving strange notes and harassment from a jilted client, events careen out of control.
Jack knows she’s more hassle than he can handle. What he doesn’t know is whether she’s seriously in trouble . . . or simply delusional.

You can buy your own copy of How to Date a Werewolf on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords. If you buy it before May 5, 2011, you may be entered in a contest to win an iPad2 or a $50.00 Gift Card to Amazon! (Wow!) See her web site for more details. Rose Pressey lives in Kentucky, with her family and two Chihuahuas. And now, a little more information on Rose Pressey, author of How to Date a Werewolf, Me and My Ghoulfriends and My Haunted Family: Engrossing Tales of One Family’s Encounters With the Unknown.

Rose Pressey
By Cathy of Lip Gloss & Literature

Q. I read on your blog that “finding answers to the unexplained fascinates [you]”and is what attracted you to write about the paranormal. How did you come to combine these elements with romantic mystery as well?

RP: Combing the two seemed natural. Adding werewolves, vampires, ghosts, and every other supernatural creature cranks normal life up a notch. I think it adds excitement, and we get a glimpse of what life would be like with these creatures. It’s just plain fun.

Q. Can you explain a little about how you became a writer? Did you have any specific influences (people, events or other)?

RP: As long as I can remember, I’ve had stories pop up in my mind with characters interacting with each other. I never knew what it meant. Then one day it clicked: I should write! About four years ago, I became serious about learning the craft. I read books on writing, joined writing forums with other writers, and found critique partners. I work at improving every day. 

Q. What or who inspired you to create Rylie Cruz, from your latest How to Date A Werewolf paranormal romance mystery?

RP: I thought how fun it would be to have a heroine who had a hairy problem. Once I had that idea, and the name, she just started talking. She hasn’t stopped since.

Q. Who is your all-time favorite character and why?

RP: My favorite character from another author? That would have to be the Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper. I love her snarkiness.

As for one of my characters, I don’t think I can choose. I love Larue and Rylie. Larue Donavan is the main character in my other series.

Q. Do you have a specific routine or process to your writing and/or what does your writing space look like?

RP: When I’m doing the first draft, I write in sprints. I like to get the story out as fast as possible. I time myself, usually writing 500 words in 15 minutes. I can finish the first draft in about a month, then spend a couple months editing.

I have an office now, but we’re moving in a few weeks. I hope my new space is nice. Sometimes I write in bed so I can relax. Sitting for long periods hurts my legs.

Q.  I saw that there are two more books being written in the How To Date A…series. How did the other two come about? Did you always plan for them to be a series?

RP: After finishing How to Date a Werewolf, I knew Rylie’s story wasn’t finished. I had so much fun with her that I knew I had to write a series.  Since she works with all supernatural creatures, it was easy to continue with vampires, and demons.

 Q. What are some of your favorite books? Authors? Genres?  

RP: I love light paranormal romance. Anything with humor. I’m also a cozy mystery fan. Mary Kay Andrews inspired me to start writing, too. I love her books.

Q. What are your interests/hobbies outside of writing?

RP: Of course, I love reading. I like spending time with family, playing with my Chihuahua, and ghost hunting.

Q. What advice do you have for wannabe writers out there?

RP: Just write. It doesn’t matter what you write, just write. I’m a big believer in reading all the books you can on the craft. It helped me. Oh, and don’t be afraid to show your work to other writers. They really can help.

Q. What is something that most people wouldn't necessarily know about you (that you would be willing to share here, of course!)?

RP: Well, on a serious note, I have artificial joints in both knees, and I’m having my hips replaced this year. I’m only thirty-eight, but I have psoriatic arthritis. The disease has taken a toll on my joints, but I don’t let that stop me. It may slow me down, but not much.

Thanks for having me on your blog, Cathy! I had a ton of fun answering your questions.

Aw, thank YOU, Rose!! For more details on Rose Pressey or any of her books, please visit her web site at www.rosepressey.com. Check back on Lip Gloss and Literature in June when I review the e-book, How to Date a Werewolf.

2 comments:

  1. Great interview and it sounds like a really fun book! Looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! The book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete